An SSL certificate is a set of files installed on a server’s website to protect users’ data. Having a certificate ensures the security of personal information that the visitor leaves on your website: bank details, passwords, contacts, name.
We can look in more detail at what SSL is, its types, how to install it, how it affects SEO promotion, what HTTP and HTTPS are, the difference between the two.
Detailed analysis of the concept of “SSL certificate”
Imagine that you are registering for a webinar or making a purchase in an online store. After completing all the items in the dialog box, you click “Submit”. The information is sent from point A (your browser) to point B (the site’s webserver). An SSL certificate is required so that no hackers can provide information about you along the way.
Internet resources that provide themselves in this way, are marked by a symbol of the lock at the beginning of the address bar. If you click, information about the reliability of the website will appear.
How to protect digital data
Information received on a secure server with an SSL certificate is encrypted. Encryption and decryption are performed using special keys, which are accessible only to the parties to the “agreement”.
Communication between the user’s browser and the server occurs according to the protocol.
SSL protocol – clear, generally accepted rules for encoding and decoding information. Step-by-step instructions for SSL certificate.
That is, if an attacker intercepts the transmitted information, he will not be able to understand it.
Which gives the site owner using an SSL certificate:
1. Trust interactions with customers – they feel safe, so you are grateful. This encourages the use of targeted action.
2. Improving search positions – browsers work for people. They show good, professional, reliable sites in top search rows.
What is HTTP and HTTPS in the address bar, what is the difference
To fully understand what SSL is, you need to know about HTTP and HTTPS.
HTTP (HyperText Transfer Protocol)- clear rules that determine how communication between the user and the server. This protocol is the basis of data exchange on the Internet.
HTTPS (HyperText Transfer Protocol Secure” – is HTTP, but with data encryption.
We mentioned the SSL protocol above. So, the prefix “s” in the abbreviation HTTPS, speaks of adding to the usual rules of information exchange, security points.
Types of SSL certificates
Site-portfolio, thematic forum, online store, travel agency, social network, real estate agency, need an SSL certificate. The only question is, what exactly?
They are divided into 3 types, depending on the type of web resource verification, and 3 types, depending on the number of domain names.
Types of SSL certificates according to learning website information:
1. DV-certificate – domain verification
For small businesses and individuals. For forums, blogs, business cards.
This is the simplest certificate. Ensures that the user clicks on a specific domain address, searches on the resource he is looking for.
• Issued very quickly – 15 minutes of approximate waiting time.
• Detailed version – checks little information, everything automatically.
• Easy to install – You will receive a list of fixed links to your domain mail if you need to go.
• Simple level of protection. Poorly suited for commercial services.
2. OV-certificate – verification of the organization
For online stores, travel agency resources, insurers, social networks. Suitable for both small and medium businesses.
Such a certificate certifies the owner of the website, providing extensive information about the organization.
• Protect users’ confidential information and payment details.
• The certification center manually studies the information about the company: registration and domain documents.
• Wait about 3 days
3. EV-certificate – enhanced verification (literally – extended)
Suitable for large enterprises that require strict protection. Needed where customers make large financial transactions.
• Maximum protection of consumer data – a large number of users.
• The line for entering the address of the web resource is highlighted in green – provides a positive first impression of the company.
• More expensive than the previous ones.
• Check documents for about ten days.
Types of SSL certificates according to the number of domains:
1. For one domain – use for simple sites or their separate parts.
2. WildCard – for DNS-servers, sites with a composite structure, with several subdomains. This certificate can be used for 100 subdomains. It cannot be installed with advanced validation.
3. SAN (Multidomain) – if the company has many web resources with different domain names. Can be installed with different types of verification.
How and where to get an SSL certificate
They are developed by special certification centers. The most famous: Symantec, Comodo, RapidSSL. But they are sold through intermediaries. There are a lot of them on the market. Sales companies, in addition to working with the client, provide technical support.
Most providers are similar. It is difficult to dwell on one. A good indicator of their quality work is a quick response to problems. If an error occurs while using the website, the customer will be able to leave the resource without targeted action, and this will adversely affect the company’s revenue.
How to get an SSL certificate:
1. Determine what kind you need.
2. Choose a provider (a company that sells and maintains certificates)
3. Make a purchase.
4. Activate – you are given access to a personal account where you create a request to issue a certificate.
5. Pass the test – depending on the type you have chosen, the test may differ. They ask for the necessary documents, call to clarify the information.
6. Install on your server (companies provide step-by-step instructions)
SSL-certificate plays an important role in SEO-promotion
SSL certificate – is a recognized ranking factor. This was announced by Google in 2014.
Search engines “love” quality, reliable sites that work with the customer in mind. Such sites are encouraged by the best positions in search results. Protecting the personal data of your visitors is the best expression of concern.
Encrypting information improves the reputation and behavioral factors of a resource. Search engines also pay attention to this.
And yes, a reliable way to protect data on the Internet is to use SSL encryption. The transition of the Internet resource to the HTTPS protocol improves the relationship with the client and the position in the search results. This is a good investment in brand development, and hence income.